Monday 27 February 2012

Blogging Awards - What's Your Opinion?


Image Credit

It's that time of the year again. 

Last week I was happily reading through some of my regular blogs and I came across the first BIB (Brilliance in Blogging) badge and a post from the author asking their readers to nominate for them.  Now, before you get carried away with trying to second-guess me I do not have a problem with anyone making their readers aware of a competition or asking for their nominations/ votes.  This post is written purely from a personal perspective.

This year there are two major awards in the UK parenting blogosphere, the BritMums Brilliance in Blogging awards, which will be presented at an evening ceremony at BritMums Live in June and the MAD Blog awards, which if last year is anything to go by will be celebrated with a ceremony September time.  I have to be honest and say I would prefer if there was just one set of awards, I do not really want to have to make a choice of which to put myself up for but to be honest I don't want to have to 'go through it all' twice. Ohh decisions, decisions.


I think that last sentence gives you an idea of my problem. What I discovered last year is that blogging awards mess with my head!  I seem to lose all rational thought, become ruled by my emotions and perspective just goes out the window.  Over-think things?  Yes sir, to the extreme, guilty as charged. Self-esteem, oh yes that is measured by how many votes I get and whether I make it to the finals of the awards.  Crazy isn't it?

I know that many bloggers feel like this as I recall posts from last year and also I had a recent conversation on Twitter with a few people.  The consensus of the group I was chatting to seemed to be that they may post once about the awards and then forget it.  It they get voted for, great and if not - so what?  It is not like they will have lost a limb or anything.  Their blog will still be a successful place, just not one with an award badge in the sidebar.

At the moment I am still thinking through my response.  Will I put myself out there and ask for nominations/ votes?  Hmm, maybe.  For both of the awards?  Yeah, really not sure.  I am speaking at BritMums Live so I feel maybe I should for that one but then I was shortlisted in the MAD Blog awards last year and it was a phenomenal experience and so well organised, that I would love to go again.  But the question is - can I get through the nominations/votes and remain nice and at least a little bit sane?

I'll keep on pondering and see what I come up with.  I suppose the best thing would be that I do not have to post and ask for votes and that I get nominated for an award that fits my blog (family life and inspirational were last years ones) but I suppose a key questions is, do I have the patience to just wait and see if that happens. Can I just trust?

So back to my original question.  What is your opinion?  Will you be actively joining in and blogging/ tweeting/ facebooking about the awards?  Go on, how desperate are you to win?

..and if you would like me to consider voting for you (because I will definitely be doing that) then leave me a comment and say what category you are hoping to be shortlisted in.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...